You are hereBachelor of Science Programme in Actuarial Science (International Programme)
Bachelor of Science Programme in Actuarial Science (International Programme)
Bachelor of Science Programme in Actuarial Science (International Programme)
|Name of Degree|
Bachelor of Science (Actuarial Science)
B.Sc. (Actuarial Science)
- Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
- Department of Mathematics, Curtin University, Australia
This programme will train a student to be an actuary who is the analytical backbone of our society’s financial security systems, more heavily represented in the financial service sector, including insurance companies, commercial banks, investment banks and retirement fund agencies.
|Objectives of the Programme
- To provide highly qualified graduates in actuarial science, who are equipped with the necessary skills in Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Law, Computing and Demographics as well as English to prepare the graduates for employment in international organizations.
- To prepare the graduates for employment as financial advisors in commercial organizations involving insurance, superannuation funds, banks, other financial institutions and government agencies.
- To produce graduates with social responsibility, leadership, ethics, who apply their knowledge for the benefit of humankind.
- To support economic growth, and enhance the country’s competitive capability in the financial world.
- To produce graduates with extensive knowledge in actuarial systems in Thailand and at the international level. Students who complete their study at Curtin University, Australia, will gain experience and have knowledge from curriculum recognized by the Institute of Actuaries of Australia.
- A candidate must hold a high-school (Grade 12) diploma or its equivalenceby the time of enrollment. (To apply for admission, an official letter confirming the students successful completion of Grade 12 study by the date of enrolment can be used in place of the diploma.)
- A candidate is required to pass an entrance examination which is a mathematics paper constructed by the Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University.
- A candidate should have a good command of the English language. The candidate either takes an English language test to meet the requirements as specified by the Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University or has a TOEFL score of not less than 500 on the paper test (173 on computerized test) or the equivalence within the past 2 years of the admission date.
The selection method is a special selection process, with a written examination and/or an interview, set forth by the Faculty of Science, Mahidol University. The final judgment will be under consideration of the committee of the programme and the Faculty of Science.
- An academic year is run under Mahidol University semester system composed of two regular semesters (16 weeks) and a summer semester (6 weeks).
- A student must enroll and complete all the requirements of the Bachelor of Science Programme in Actuarial Science (International Programme) in order to qualify for the degree.
- A student who selects to obtain the double degrees must meet requirements as specified in the Student Articulation Principal Agreement between Curtin University and Mahidol University. In general, a student will take courses following the study plan and spends the first 5 regular semesters consecutively at Mahidol University, then studies at Curtin University for the last 3 regular semesters consecutively.
- **Selection requirements for Curtin University transfer can be found here
Duration of Study
No less than 3 years, no more than 8 years. (The programme is designed for the student to graduate within 3 years and a half.)
Program of Study
- Total of 120 credits are required for graduation.
- Programme structure:
Subject Credits a.
b. Specific Education Courses 84
Compulsory E lectures
c. Free Elective 6 Total 120 Registration
A student is required to register for a full – time study of no more than 23 credits each regular semester and no more than 8 credits in the summer semester.
Evaluation and Graduation Requirements
For the courses taken at Mahidol University, students’ evaluation is in accordance with the rules and regulations of Mahidol University.
For the courses taken at Curtin University, students’ evaluation is in accordance with the rules and regulations of Curtin University. Some courses in Curtin University are equivalent to Mahidol University courses. Assessment results will be shown by the same grades and symbols as Mahidol University.
2. Graduation Requirements
- The duration of study must not exceed 8 academic years.
- A Student must pass the subjects in accordance with the programme curriculum which has the minimum requirements of the 120 credits including;
- a minimum of 30 credits of general education courses
- a minimum of 84 credits of specific education courses
- a minimum of 6 credits of free elective courses
- A student must have a minimum grade point average of 2.00 (out of 4.00 grade point system) at the completion of the programme.
3. A student will obtain the double degrees from Mahidol University and Curtin University, provided the student meets requirements as specified in the Student Articulation Principal Agreement between Curtin University and Mahidol University and passes all education requirements.
4. A student who carries out his or her studies entirely at Mahidol University will obtain a degree from Mahidol University only, provided the student passes all education requirements.
5. In the case that the student who chooses to obtain the double degrees does not complete satisfactorily all the required courses within the 3 semesters at Curtin University, the student can choose to continue his or her studies at Mahidol University. However, the student will obtain a degree from Mahidol University only, provided the student completes all the required courses and passes all graduation requirements. In this case, Mahidol University awards all academic records obtained during the study at Curtin University.
1. Designated Permanent Lecturers
Ph.D. (Applied Mathematics), Curtin University, Perth, Australia
M.S.(Actuarial Science), Boston University, U.S.A.
Ph.D. (Mathematics), University of Warwick UK
Ph.D.(Mathematics in Operations Research), Curtin University, Australia
2. Permanent Lecturers
Name Title Degree Adelino da Costa, Renato Alencar Lecturer Electrical Engineering (Decision Support Methods) PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil. Huabsomboon, Pallop Assistant Professor Ph.D.(Computational and Applied Mathematics), Old Dominion University, U.S.A. Jumpen, Wannika Lecturer Ph.D.(Mathematics), Mahidol University, Thailand Maneesawarng, Chaiwat Assistant Professor Ph.D. (Mathematics), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, U.S.A. Novaprateep, Boriboon Lecturer Ph.D. (Computational and Applied Mathematics), Old Dominion University, U.S.A. Orankitjaroen, Somsak Lecturer Ph.D.(Applied Mathematics and Statistics ), SUNY at Stony Brook, U.S.A. Rattanakul, Chontita Associate Professor Ph.D.(Mathematics), Mahidol University, Thailand Sarika, Warunee Assistant Professor Ph.D.(Mathematics), Mahidol University, Thailand Satiracoo, Pirote Lecturer Ph.D. (Mathematics), University of Warwick UK Wattananon, Boonmee Assistant Professor Ph.D.(Mathematics in Operations Research), Curtin University, Australia
3. Special Lecturers
Name Title Degree Chunwachirasiri, Withoon Lecturer Ph Ph.D. (Physics) University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA. De Geatano, Andrea Doctor Ph.D. (Applied Mathematics), CNR IASI Laboratorio di Biomatematica, Italy M.D. (Doctor of Medicine), UniversitàCattolica, Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia, Roma, Italy; summa cum laude J.D., Juris Doctor (LaureaMagistrale in Giurisprudenza, Facoltà di Giurisprudenza, Università di Urbino Kulawuth, Sombat ASA M.Sc. (Actuarial Statistics) Chulalongkorn University, Moore, Elvin James Lecturer Ph.D. (Applied Mathematics) University of New South Wales, Australia O’Brian, Timothy Professor Ph.D. (Statistics) Loyola University, USA. Pimpunchat,Busayamas Associate Professor Ph.D (Mathematics) Mahidol University, Thailand M.Sc. (Actuarial Statistics) Chulalongkorn University, Thailand Prakobphol, Walapa Associate Professor M.S. (Actuarial Science) University of Iowa, U.S.A. Sujaritkul, Saranya Assistant Professor M.S. (Applied Statistics) National Institute of Development Administration, Thailand Treetipbut, Pataraporn Actuary MBA (Actuarial Science) University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA Tumrasvin, Tanita Lecturer M.Sc. (Economics and International Economics) University of Nottingham, UK Tumrasvin, Nardtida Associate Professor M.Sc. (Applied Mathematics) University of Chicago, U.S.A. Tunlayadechanont, Suchitra Assistant Professor Ph.D. (Accounting) The George Washington University, U.S.A.
Note :Special Lecturers will be invited to provide lectures, or talks, or share their experiences with the students. The speakers who are specialists in their respective fields will be from both the government and private sectors, and from other universities.
4. Permanent Lecturers at Curtin University
Name Title Degree Link Aw, Ee Ling Dr.,Fellow of Institute of Actuaries of Australia (FIAA) Ph.D., Monash University http://maths.curtin.edu.au/people/index.cfm/E.Aw) Bowman, Kevin Associate Professor, Fellow of Institute of Actuaries of Australia (FIAA) Ph.D., University of Wollongong, Australia http://maths.curtin.edu.au/people/index.cfm/K.Bowman) Fergusson, Kevin Dr., Fellow of Institute of Actuaries of Australia (FIAA) Ph.D., http://maths.curtin.edu.au/people/index.cfm/Kevin.Fergusson) Wong, Adrian Associate Professor B.Sc., FIA(London), FIAA http://maths.curtin.edu.au/people/index.cfm/Adrian.Wong)
5. Programme Co-ordinators from Curtin University
Name Title Degree Bowman, Kevin Associate Professor Ph.D., University of Wollongong, Australia Wong, Adrian Associate Professor B.Sc., FIA(London), FIAA Wu, Hong Yong Professor B.Sc., MBA, FIA, FIAA
6. Programme Co-ordinators from Mahidol University
Name Title Degree Lenbury, Yongwimon Professor Ph.D. (Mathematics), Vanderbilt University, U.S.A
Compulsary Courses (2010 revision)
Mathematics I (7062)
Mathematics II (7063)
Principles of Actuarial Science (306542)
Statistical Data Analysis I (307590)
Statistical Data Analysis II (310532)
Science Communications (307554)
Advanced Calculus (8127)
Linear Algebra (8128)
Mathematical Statistics (302315)
Experimental Design and Analysis (8393)
Statistical Data Analysis III (307591)
Principles of Finance (12607)
Principles of Insurance and Superannuation (309010)
Theory of Interest (302397)
Practical Mathematical Financial Modeling (309009)
Investment Science I (310529)
Investment Science II (310218)
Actuarial Statistics I (302399)
Risk Analysis and Credibility (306543)
Life Contingencies I (310530)
Life Contingencies II (302400)
Statistical Modeling (311007)
Survival Analysis (3975)
- Application form for Actuarial Science Programme (International Program)