|Dr. Kanyaratt Supaibulwatana|
|Group : Agricultural Biotechnology|
|Laboratory of Plant Physiology and Agri-Biotechnology
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
Rama VI Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Tel : 0-2201-5303, 0-2201-5208 Fax : 0-2354-7160
E-mail : email@example.com
|1985||B.Sc. (Agriculture), Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand.|
|1991||M.Sc. (Horticulture), Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand.|
|1997||Ph.D. (Plant Biotechnology), Chiba University, Chiba, Japan.|
|1994-1997||Ph.D. degree scholarship (Chiba University, Japan) - The Japanese Ministry of Education Science and Culture (Monbusho)|
|1993-1994||Research Student Fellowship Faculty of Horticulture, Chiba University, Japan - Support by The Japanese Ministry of Education Science and Culture (Monbusho) and Chiba University, Japan|
|1988-1989||Teaching Assistant Scholarships (Course name: Advanced Plant Tissue Culture and Application) Department of Horticulture Faculty of Agriculture, Kasetsart University|
|1989||Student Representative "Student Internship Program" (SIP11th) (Bangkok, Thailand) (Focusing on economic, technology, social and culture) - Support by Bangkok Bank Limited, Thailand|
|1987||Exchange student (Science and Technology - Representative) "Friendship Program for 21st Century" (4th), support by JICA, Japan|
|2000||Visiting Scientist University of Malaysia, Sarawak (UNIMAS), Malaysia Supported by JSPS-NRCT Joint Project|
|2005||Visiting Associate Professor Field Science of Northern Biosphere Institute, Hokkaido University, Japan|
Vice Dean, Faculty of Sciences, Mahidol University (for policy, international cooperation, business unit, internal audit)
|Mar 2015-Feb 2016||Deputy Dean for Organizational Research and Innovation Development, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Mahidol University|
|2015||Associate Professor, Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, MU|
|2006-present||Adjunct Associate Professor,
Graduate School of Horticulture, Chiba University, Japan
Public Relations, Special Activities, and International Affairs Faculty of Sciences, Mahidol University
|Dec 2011-Nov 2015||Deputy Dean for Academic and International Cooperation,
Faculty of Sciences, Mahidol University
- International Cooperation Office
- Internal Audit Division
- Business Development Unit
|Jan 2009-Nov 2011||Advisor to Dean, International Network Development Faculty of Sciences, Mahidol University|
|Oct 2007-Sep 2011||Deputy Dean, Public Relations and Corporate Social Communications Faculty of Graduate Studies, Mahidol University|
|Dec 2007-Dec 2008||Acting Deputy Dean|
|Oct 2005-Sep 2007||Deputy Dean, Public Relations, Student Affairs, and Special Activities, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Mahidol University|
|2005||Assistant Professor, Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, MU|
|Oct 2003-Sep 2004||Deputy Dean, International Relations and Public Relations Faculty of Science, Mahidol University|
|1991-2004||Lecturer, Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Science Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand|
|1988-1990||Researcher "Micropropagation of Economical Important Bamboo" Project for “Esarn Kaew” Department of Horticulture, Faculty of Agriculture Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand|
|1985-1988||Researcher "In Vitro Collection and Germplasm Exchange of Bamboo” KU-USAID Project, Department of Horticulture Faculty of Agriculture, Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand|
Poster Presentation Award Theerawitaya, C. and K. Supaibulwatana. Somatic Embryogenesis and Protoplast Isolation of Cucumis sativus L. 26th Congress on Science and Technology of Thailand. 18-20 October 2000. Queen Sirikit National Center, Bangkok, Thailand
|2002||Research Grant Award Supaporn Hutthanasombut and Kanyaratt Supaibulwatana Topic “Effect of T-DNA Insertional Mutagenesis on the Expression of OsBADH gene in Rice (Oryza sativa) During Salt Stress”. Asia Rice Foundation, USA|
|2003||Second Award “The 3rd Thailand Innovation Awards” - Year 2003 Fongsirikul, S. and K. Supaibulwatana. Research topic: “Utilization of Modified Environmental Conditions in Aseptic Cultures for Clone Identification of the Mutant Plants” in Thailand Innovation Awards 2003: Awakening the Innovative Spirit of Thai Youths, Innovation is to use Knowledge to create Money. 17-19 August 2003. Bangkok Planetarium, Bangkok, Thailand and 17-19 October 2003. Central World Plaza, Bangkok, Thailand. (Abstract pp. 38-39).|
|2004||Outstanding Poster Presentation Award Cha-um S., K. Supaibulwatana and C. Kirdmanee. 2004. Phenotypic responses of Jasmine Rice (Oryza sativa L. cv. KDML 105) to salt-stress under environmental control system. AgBiotech Graduate Conference I, 18-19 March 2004, Rama Gardens, Bangkok, p 86.|
|2005||”Travel Award” for presentation in conference Cha-um S., C. Kirdmanee, and K. Supaibulwatana. ”Biochemical expression on salt-tolerant and salt-sensitive lines of rice (Oryza sativa L.) in responses to salt stress” XVII International Botanical Congress 2005. 12-16 July 2005. Vienna, Austria.|
|2007||Outstanding Alumni Award, Department of Horticulture, Faculty of Agriculture, Kasetsart University|
Research Project :
Chief Scientific Investigator :
October 2014 – present
- “Selection and evaluation of agronomic properties of KDML105 rice (Oryza sativa L. subtype Indica) mutants under salt stress and organic farming” Granted by Mahidol University and National Research Council, Thailand (NRCT)
March 2009 – September 2011
- "Implementation of Agrobacterium-mediated Genetic Transformation used for Functional Gene Study in Oil Palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.)” Granted by National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC), National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA, Thailand). Contract no: BT-B-01-PG-14-5203
October 2006 – September 2009
- "Science and Technology for Quantity and Quality Improvement of Macadamia Nut (Macadamia integrefolia L.) Produced by Mae Fah Luang Foundation” Granted by Mahidol University, and National Research Council, Thailand (NRCT)
October 2006 – September 2007
- "Growth, Morphological Development, and Artemisinin Production of Cultivated at Doi Tung Highland Area”, Granted by Mahidol University, and National Research Council, Thailand (NRCT)
March 2005 – 2008
- "Screening of Genetic Markers Specific to Salt tolerant Characteristics from Mutative Lines of Indica Rice (Oryza sativa L.) and Development of Double Haploid Plant Exploit for Rice Breeding Program” Granted by International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Contract no: 12998/RO
March 2002 – February 2005
- "Physiological and Biochemical Characterizations for Phenotypic Expression of Salt-tolerant Rice (Oryza sativa L.) Cultivars under Environmental Control System." Granted by National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC), National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA, Thailand).
October 1999 – September 2000
- "Development of Protoplast Technology in Qing-Hao (Artemisia annua L.) for Further Application to Improve The Production of Artemisinin Agents". Granted by Mahidol University.
October 1998 – September 2001
- "Utilization of Callus and Embryogenesis Cell Culture for Micropropagation and Crop Improvement by Biotechnological Techniques in Some Bulblet Plants" Granted by the Royal Project Foundation, Thailand. (Grant No. 3040-3049)
October 1997– September 1998
- "In Vitro Collection of Plant Germplasm by Tissue Culture and Cryopreservation" Granted by Faculty of Science, Mahidol University Granted by "The Grants for the Promotion of New Researchers" Faculty of Science, Mahidol University.
2003 – 2004
- Project Manager "Biotechnology for Sustainable and Industrial Development of Plant Natural Products" (Principle Investigator: Assoc. Prof. Manop Suphantharika) Granted by Thai Commission on Higher Education (CHE)
- Key Investigator of Subproject: "Development of Coating Agent for Mango and Citrus Fruits Using Chitosan" Granted by "Reversed Brain Drain Project", National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA) in project title "Seafood Post-Harvesting value-added Products from Seafood Processing" Phase-I: Tiger Shrimp Waste Utilization in Thailand. (Principle Investigator: Dr. Wanchai Worawatanamateekul and Dr. Apinya Assavanig).
- Key Investigator of Subproject: "Tissue Culture of Sago Palm" Under "Sago-Project-Biotechnology Utilization and Conservation of Sago Palm" (Principle Investigator: Dr. Pairoj Luangpituksa) JSPS-NRCT Joint Project on Large-Scale Cooperative Research in the Field of Biotechnology. Granted by NRCT (National Research Council of Thailand)
1) A Phenylurea Cytokinin, CPPU, Elevated Reducing Sugar and Correlated to Andrographolide Contents in Leaves of Andrographis paniculata (Burm. F.) Wall. Ex Nees. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 2016; DOI: 10.1007/s12010-016-2238-x (in press)
2) Kaewviset, S., Prasomkhum N., Somvong W., Nomethanong S. and Supaibulwatana K., Inspired by the Nobel Laureates: A Typical Event-Based Inspirational Motivation in Science Education. Advanced Science Letters, American Scientific Publishers. 2015: Vol.21, 2425-2428.
3) Otani1, M., Ishibe1, M., Inthima M., Supaibulwatana K., Mori S., Niki T., Nishijima T., Koshioka M., Nakano M. Horticultural characterization of a tetraploid transgenic plant of Tricyrtis sp. carrying the gibberellin 2-oxidase gene. Plant Biotechnology. DOI: 10.5511/plantbiotechnology.14.0916a. 2014; 31: 335–340.
4) T-DNA insertion alters the terpenoid content composition and bioactivity of transgenic Artemisia annua. Natural Product Communications. 2014; 9 (3): 363-366.
5) Role of temperature and altitude on flowering performances of macadamia nut. Acta Horticulturae. 2014; V.1024 (12 March 2014). 127-132.
6) Pansuksan, K., Mii, M., Supaibulwatana, K. Phytochemical alteration and new occurring compounds in hairy root cultures of Mitracarpus hirtus L. induced by phenylurea cytokinin (CPPU). Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture (PCTOC). 2014; 119(3): 523-532.
7) Inthima, P., Otani, M., Hirano, T., Hayashi, Y., Abe, T., Nakano, M., Supaibulwatana, K. Mutagenic effects of heavy-ion beam irradiation on in vitro nodal segments of Artemisia annua L. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture (PCTOC). 2014; 119(1): 131-139.
8) Pansuksan, K., Sangthong, R., Nakamura, I., Mii, M., Supaibulwatana, K. Tetraploid induction of Mitracarpus hirtus L. by colchicine and its characterization including antibacterial activity. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 2014; 117(3): 381-391.
9) Gashaw, A., Theerawitaya, C., Samphumphuang, T., Cha-um, S., Supaibulwatana, K. CPPU elevates photosynthetic abilities, growth performances and yield traits in salt stressed rice (Oryza sativa L. spp. indica) via free proline and sugar accumulation. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. DOI: 10.1016/j.pestbp.2013.11.003. 2014; 108 (1): 27-33.
10) Maksup S, Roytrakul S, Supaibulwatana K. Physiological and comparative proteomic analyses of Thai jasmine rice and two check cultivars in response to drought stress. J Plant Interact. 2014; 9: 43-45. DOI:10.1080/17429145.2012.752042.
11) Pichakum, A., Supaibulwatana, K., Chintakovid, W., Chanseetis, C. Role of temperature and altitude on flowering performances of macadamia nut. Acta Horticulturae (conference paper). 2014; 1024: 127-132.
Otani, M., Meguro, S., Gondaira, H., Hayashi, M., Saito, M., Han, D.-S., Inthima, P., Supaibulwatana, K., Mori, S., Jikumaru, Y., Kamiya, Y., Li, T., Niki, T., Nishijima, T., Koshioka, M., Nakano, M. Overexpression of the gibberellin 2-oxidase gene from Torenia fournieri induces dwarf phenotypes in the liliaceous monocotyledon Tricyrtis sp. 2013; Journal of Plant Physiology; V.170, Issue 16, 1 November 2013, Pages 1416-1423.
13) Maksup S, Supaibulwatana K, Selvaraj G. High-quality reference genes for quantifying the transcriptional responses of Oryza sativa L. (ssp. indica and japonica) to abiotic stress conditions. Chin Sci Bull. 2013; 58: 1-12. DOI: 10.1007/s11434-013-5726-1
14) Boriboonkaset, T., Theerawitaya, C., Yamada, N., Pichakum, A., Supaibulwatana, K., Cha-Um S., Takabe, T., Kirdmanee, C. Regulation of some carbohydrate metabolism-related genes, starch and soluble sugar contents, photosynthetic activities and yield attributes of two contrasting rice genotypes subjected to salt stress. 2013; Protoplasma; DOI: 10.1007/s00709-013-0496-9.
15) Yooyongwech, S., Cha-um, S., Supaibulwatana, K. Water relation and aquaporin genes (PIP1;2 and PIP2;1) expression at the reproductive stage of rice (Oryza sativa L. spp. indica) mutant subjected to water deficit stress. 2013; Plant OMICS; 6: 79-85.
16) Yooyongwech, S., Phaukinsang, N., Cha-um, S., Supaibulwatana, K. Arbuscular mycorrhiza improved growth performance in Macadamia tetraphylla L. grown under water deficit stress involves soluble sugar and proline accumulation. Plant Growth Regulation. DOI: 10.1007/s10725-012-9771-6. 2013; V. 69, Issue 3, 2013, Pages 285-293.
Yooyongwech, Cha-um, S., Supaibulwatana, K. Proline related genes expression and physiological changes in indica rice response to water-deficit stress. Plant Omics (POJ) 2012; 5: 597-603.
18) Transcriptional regulations of the genes of starch metabolism and physiological changes in response to salt stress rice (Oryza sativa L.) seedlings. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants. 2012; 18 (3): 197-208.
19) Cha-um S, Yooyongwech S, Supaibulwatana K. Water-deficit tolerant classification in mutant lines of indica rice. 2012. Sci. agric. 69, 135-141
20) Karaket Netiya, Supaibulwatana Kanyaratt, Ounsuk Supatsara, Valérie Bultel-Poncé, Van Cuong Pham and Bernard Bodo. Chemical and Bioactivity Evaluation of the Bark of Neonauclea purpurea. Natural Product Communications. NPC. 2012; 6 (0): 1-3.
21) Banyai W, Mii M, Supaibulwatana K. Enhancement of artemisinin content and biomass in Artemisia annua by exogenous GA3 treatment. Plant Growth Reg. 2011; 63 (1):45-54. DOI: 10.1007/s10725-010-9510-9.
22) Supaibulwatana K, Kuntawunginn W, Cha-um S, Kirdmanee C. Artemisinin accumulation and enhanced net photosynthetic rate in Qinghao (Artemisia annua L.) hardened in vitro in enriched-CO2 photoautotrophic conditions. Plant Omics (POJ) 2011; 4(2): 75-81.
23) Theerawitaya C., Triwitayakorn K., Kirdmanee C., Smith D.R. and Supaibulwatana K. Genetic variations associated with salt tolerance detected in mutants of KDML105 (Oryza sativa L. spp. indica) rice. Australian Journal of Crop Science (AJCS). 2011; 5(11): 1 475-1480. ISSN: 1835-2707.
24) Hasthanasombut S., Paisarnwipatpong N., Triwitayakorn K., Kirdmanee C. Supaibulwatana K. Expression of OsBADH1 gene in Indica rice (Oryza sativa L.) in correlation with salt, plasmolysis, temperature and light stresses. Plant Omics (POJ) 2011; 4(7): 400-407. ISSN: 1836-3644.
25) Hasthanasombut S., Supaibulwatana K., Mii M., Nakamura I. Genetic manipulation of Japonica rice using the OsBADH1 gene from Indica rice to improve salinity tolerance. Plant Cell Tiss Org Cult. 2011; 104 (1): 79-89. DOI: 10.1007/s11240-010-9807-4.
26) Cha-um S, W. Chintakowit, C. Chanseetis, A. Pichakum, Supaibulwatana K. Promoting root induction and growth of in vitro macadamia (Macadamia tetraphylla L. 'Keaau') plantlets using CO2-enriched photoautotrophic conditions. Plant Cell Tiss Org Cult. 2011; 106: 435–444. DOI: 10.1007/s11240-011-9940-8.
27) Banyai W, Sangthong R, Karaket N, Inthima P, Mii M, Supaibulwatana K. Overproduction of artemisinin in tetraploid Artemisia annua L. Plant Biotech. 2010; 27(5): 427-433.
28) Banyai W, Kirdmanee C, Mii M, Supaibulwatana K. Overexpression of farnesyl pyrophosphate synthase (FPS) gene affected artemisinin content and growth of Artemisia annua L. Plant Cell Tiss Org Cult. 2010; 103 (2): 255-265. DOI: 10.1007/s11240-010-9775-8.
29) Dan-Dan Zhai, Kanyaratt Supaibulwatana, Jian-Jiang Zhong. Inhibition of tumor cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis in human.3 lung carcinoma 95-D cells by a new sesquiterpene from hairy root cultures of Artemisia annua. Phytomedicine. 2010; 17: 856–861.
30) Dan-Dan Zhai, Kanyaratt Supaibulwatana, Jian-Jiang Zhong. Inhibition of tumor cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis in human lung carcinoma 95-D cells by Drimatol A from hairy root cultures of Artemisia annua. Latin American Journal of Pharmacy. 2010; 29 (7): 1159-65.
31) Cha-um S, Yooyongwech S., Supaibulwatana K. Water deficit stress in reproductive stage of four indica rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes. Pak. J. Bot. 2010; 42(5): 3387-3398.
32) Hasthanasombut S., Ntui V., Supaibulwatana K., Mii M., Nakamura I. Expression of Indica rice OsBADH1 gene under salinity stress in transgenic tobacco.Plant Biotechnology Reports. 2010; 4(1):75-83.
33) Cha-um S, Supaibulwatana K., C. Kirdmanee. Comparative effects of salt stress and extreme pH stress combined on glycinebetaine accumulation, photosynthetic abilities and growth characters of two rice genotypes. Rice Science. 2009; 16(4): 274-282.
34) Sangthong R., Chin D. P., Hayashi M., Supaibulwatana K., Mii M. Direct isolation of female germ units from ovules of Petunia hybrida by enzymatic treatment without releasing somatic protoplasts from ovular tissue. Plant Biotechnology. 2009; 26: 369–375.
35) Sangthong R., Chin D. P., Supaibulwatana K., Mii M. Gametosomatic hybridization between egg cell protoplast and mesophyll protoplast of Petunia hybrida. Plant Biotechnology. 2009; 26: 377–383.
36) Cha-um S, Supaibulwatana K., C. Kirdmanee. 2007. Glycinebetaine accumulation, physiological characterizations, and growth efficiency in salt tolerant and salt sensitive lines of indica rice (Oryza sativa L. spp. indica) response to salt stress. Journal of Agronomy Crop. 2007; 193: 157-166.
37) Cha-um S, Supaibulwatana K., C. Kirdmanee. Water relation, photosynthesis ability and growth of Thai Jasmin rice (Oryza sativa L. ssp. Indica cv. KDML 105) to salt -stress by application of exogenous glycinebetaine and choline. Journal of Agronomy Crop. 2006; 192, 25 – 36.
Sangthong, R., M. Mii,
Characteristics of the tetraploid plant derived as a somaclonal variation in
Lilium longiflorum. pp. 167-174. Acta
Horticulturae. No. 673. Vol. 1. Ninth International Symposium on
Flower Bulbs. H. Okubo, W.B. Miller, and G.A. Chastagner (Eds.).
Published by International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS). Printed
by Drukkerij Jansen B.V., The
39) Cha-um S, Supaibulwatana K., C. Kirdmanee. Physiological responses of rice seedling (Oryza sativa L.) to salt-stress cultured under in vitro photomixotrophic and photoautotrophic systems. Asian J Plant Sci. 2005; 4 (2): 136-143.
40) Cha-um S, Supaibulwatana K., C. Kirdmanee. Phenotypic responses of Thai jasmine rice to salt-stress under environmental control of in-vitro photoautotrophic system. Asian Journal of Plant Science. 2005; 4 (2): 85-89.
41) Supaibulwatana K., W. Banyai, P. Cheewasakulyong, C. Kirdmanee, S. Kamchonwongpaisan, Y. Yuthavong. Effect of Culture Conditions, Elicitation and Induced Mutagenesis on Plant Growth and Productions of Antimalarial Agents in Artemisia annua L. pp. 240-249. in Biotechnological Advances and Application in Bioconversion of Renewable Raw Materials. R. Jonas, A. Pandy, and G. Tharun (Eds.). Gesellschaft fur Biotechnologische Forschung. Braunschweig, Germany. 2004. ISBN: 3-925 268-25-0. 312 p.
42) Cha-um S, C. Kirdmanee, Supaibulwatana K. Biochemical and Physiological Responses of Thai Jasmine Rice (Oryza sativa L. ssp. indica cv. KDML105) to Salt Stress. ScienceAsia. 2004; 30: 247-253.
43) Cha-um S., K. Mosaleeyanon, Supaibulwatana K., C. Kirdmanee. Physiological responses of Thai neem (Azadirachta siamensis Val.) to salt stress for salt-tolerance screening program. ScienceAsia. 2004; 30: 17-23.
44) Cha-um S, K. Mosaleeyanon, C. Kirdmanee, Supaibulwatana K. A more efficiency transplanting system for Thai neem (Azadirachta siamensis Val.) by reducing relative humidity. ScienceAsia. 2003; 29: 189-196.
45) Suzuki, S., Supaibulwatana K., M. Mii, M. Nakano. Production of transgenic plants of the Liliaceous ornamental plant Agapanthus praecox ssp. orientalis (Leighton) Leighton via Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of embryogenic calli. Plant Science. 2001; 161: 89-97.
46) Aziz-Purwantoro, Supaibulwatana K., M. Mii, T. Koba. Cytological and RAPD (Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA) Analysis of Somaclonal Variation in Easter lily (Lilium longiflorum Thinb.) Plant Biotechnology. 1999; 16 (3): 247-250.
Supaibulwatana, K. The Role
of Science and Technology in
48) Supaibulwatana K., M. Mii. Induction of Meristematic Nodular Calli from Various Explants of Lilium sp. and Long Term Stability in Plant Regeneration Ability and Ploidy Level of the Calli. Plant Biotechnology. 1998; 15 (2): 95-102.
49) Supaibulwatana K., M. Mii. Organogenesis and Somatic Embryogenesis from Flower Bud Explants of Agapanthus africanus Hoffmanns. Plant Biotechnology. 1997; 4 (1): 23-26.
Micro-rhizome Induction in Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
GenBank Accessions number
Last updated : 11/10/2016
View My Stats
Copyright ©2016 Department of Biotechnology, Mahidol University. All Rights Reserved
Web master : firstname.lastname@example.org