From the Dean
From Deputy Dean for Administration and Finance
1) A suspect was caught at the library bathroom at 7 pm on Monday November 30th. Please see details at http://stang.sc.mahidol.ac.th/webboard/view.php?ID=000111. We need to watch out for our belongings and safety.
PC remark: At the meeting, there were a lot of complaints about present security staff.
2) Another directive from faculty admin -
A new form to be filled before taking any university equipment outside the campus. Department Head needs to sign this form every time.
PC remark: Could K. Yuvadee please get copies of the form to keep in our office?
3) The admin department will arrange for flea market (ตลาดนัด) in order to raise more income for our faculty.
4) All staff should finish writing their job descriptions and these documents should be kept at our departmental office before December 30.
PC remark: For BC academic staff, PM has drafted the job description and your feedback and comments will be required during the staff meeting.
5) Bench Fee for people conducting research at our Faculty: Since some foreign students have bench fees for conducting research at our faculty, the deputy dean for finance wants a policy/regulation to manage this money. The dean endorsed that this may only be collected from those who have bench fee in their scholarships but for othersit will be waived.
PC remark: I tried to object this rule and suggested to limit this for bench fee-carrying scholarship only, because it will create unnecessary paper work and also portray image of our faculty as an unwelcoming host in fostering collaborations with and training for outside students. My objection was in vain. However, the dean endorsed as reported above.
From Advisor to the Dean for Policy and Quality Assurance
1) Our Faculty did not submit any nomination for Mahidol Awards this year. A. Chalobhon suggested that the admin team should not miss this next year. Mahidol Award is very prestigious and many Faculty of Science staff are eligible for it.
2) For staff requesting academic promotion, please ensure that the teaching evaluation is done according to the protocol, not just requesting committee to sign.
Please also be sure that the new form for teaching evaluation is used. All forms can be downloaded from intranet.
Deputy Dean for Educational Affairs and Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
1) During November-December, lots of admission exams are taking place. The process is going on smoothly and staff may be asked for help in examination process. The deputy dean and his team are doing their best for us to get good undergrad students according to our plan.
2) The period for Final Exam is December 22-30.
3) Mr. Chakrit Phongkittivanichkul, Chairperson of MUSC student body, will receive the best student award. He will be nominated to receive รางวัลพระราชทานของมหาวิทยาลัย
4) Pramongkutkrao Medical School is planning to have their first year students study with us. However, this is not official yet. All Faculty committee agree to accept this proposition.
From Deputy Dean for Research, Medical and Graduate Education, and Graduate
1) A grant for helping new staff to purchase small equipments (previously announced as 100,000 baht) has been increased to 150,000 baht. Please check SC intranet for information (http://intranet.sc.mahidol).
PC Remark: LJ and WK, please don’t miss this opportunity. I am happy to endorse your submission forms.
2) A flowchart for research grant is available.
PC Remark: This is useful information to have. A copy of this flowchart will be distributed to everyone.
3) Call for nomination for Outstanding Thailand Scientist and Young Scientist Award.
PC Remark: TC, can we nominate you for Young Scientist Award?
In the future, new staff should have at least 2 mentors to ensure that they know how to get on with their research career.
4) Graduate School has announced “ทุนเฉลิมพระเกียรติ 60 ปี”
PC remark: TS, could you check if any of our students are eligible for this?
5) Request for Staff to participate in Medical Students’ Comprehensive Examination”.
Referring to a letter from this division sent to us last week, A. Sukaman said that Ramathibodi would like MUSC staff who taught their students to participate in this exam setting process. All exam submission must be finished by January 15.
PC remark: KY and ST, please coordinate to ensure that our staff who taught in 221 and 141 contribute their exam questions.
6) Any programs can change their names. Just submit the paper to grad school.
PC remark: Everyone agrees that we are happy with “Biochemistry”?
From Assistant Dean for Applied Research
1) Siam Bioscience Company would like to set their research office at our Faculty. The dean assigned A. Sukuman and A. Chuenchit to oversee the process of signing the agreement.
2) There is some debate about the cost of FACS Canto fee.
PC remark: I have no idea about the cost since I don’t use it. BC staff who use it a lot may want to give feedback to A. Sittiwat directly.
From Assistant Dean for Special Affairs and Assistant Dean for Public Relations and International Relations
1) The faculty will host the National Children Day on January 9, 2010. Departments have to contribute activities for visiting children.
PC remark: Could JM or JY please be a representative for our department?
2) Copies of JM news about his research on bananas were given. We will keep copies of all news in the files at Biochem office.
PC remark: Could K. Yuvadee take care of this matter? Also please contact K. Warisara (K. แฝด) for a copy of Methinee Prongjit interview. She was interviewed by กรุงเทพธุรกิจ during MUSC GradExpo2009.
1) As of December 9, 2009, staff and students of our faculty have published a total of 310 papers. The highest ratio is BC with (2.2 paper per staff). The second highest ratio is Pharmacology with the ratio of 1.9.
2) Mahidol President supports using social network (web 2.0). Please see more details in “Can Social Networking help MUSC in teaching, learning, research and public relations?”
From Head of Stang Mongkolsuk Library and Information Division
PC remark: We now have Biochem Mahidol Facebook Fan Page. Please sign in and join us at http://ow.ly/Kxpg
Please check our webboard to answer questions from students. Thanks KY,JY,WN,SJ,TC,JM, PC for answering SCID 141 students questions. Many thanks to our grad students for contributing good discussion at our webboard too.
3) K. Ruchareka participated in 5thQS-APPLE Conference in Malaysia last month and mentioned that many sessions were helpful for the idea about research university. Anyone interested to obtain video files of the meeting can request her.
PC remark: K. Ruchareka has summarized many useful aspects concerning this meeting at her blog at http://ruchareka.wordpress.com/?s=QS-APPLE.